Based on what I was seeing on the news last night, you guys just brought a miracles-worth of clean water and shelter to folks who need 'em.
And even if you could only give $5 or $10, you helped. You all helped. Sleep well and dream sweet tonight.
Taking this, with permission, from Jeri Smith-Ready:
Words like "devastate" can easily weaken from overuse. "He is devastatingly handsome." Or "I'm devastated they canceled Dollhouse."
But when a 7.0 earthquake destroys the capital city of the hemisphere's poorest nation, a nation whose infrastructure was shoddy and piecemeal to begin with, a nation whose people live off the equivalent of $2 per day? That's devastation.
Many charitable organizations are pitching in to help those affected by the earthquake in Haiti, including the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Doctors Without Borders.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF, which stands for their original French name Medecins Sans Frontieres) is in my opinion one of the bravest and noblest charities in the world. They go into war-torn areas that others won't dare to enter. They operate independent of political, religious, and military affiliations. They speak out against the atrocities and violence they witness in the course of their work. And they don't care who they piss off in their battle for compassion, mercy, and better medical care for those in need. That's why they got the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999, and deserved it.
Let's help MSF help Haiti.
I just got my shipment of the mass market editions of BURNING BRIDGES, FREE FALL, and BLOOD FROM STONE.
If you donate $20 or more to Doctors Without Borders, I'll send you the entire set -- all six books -- of the Retrievers series in mass market, signed with the now-traditional "one signature" that makes the entire thing a true "collectors set"
1. Donate at least $20 at the Doctors Without Borders website and forward the donation receipt to me at lag AT lauraannegilman DOT net. Then leave a comment to this post--it can be anonymous if you prefer, but this will help other readers gauge how many people have already given.
2. Giveaway will continue while supplies last (
3, Because of the cost of shipping these books overseas, I have to limit this to North America only unless you donate $50 [US] or more. Sorry guys.
4. Retail value of the entire set: $45. Helping doctors help injured, homeless Haitians: priceless.
5. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.
6. I'll personalize the book to you, unless you request otherwise (if you'd like me to sign it to a friend for a gift or simply put the ever-popular "Dear eBay auction winner.")
EtA: if your screen name is different from your e-mail account, please identify!